Mission Hospital sponsors an American Cancer Society Patient Resource Navigator. We are one of two sites in North Carolina to offer this service. Our Patient Resource Navigator identifies programs and services and helps patients gain access to them. For more information, call Laura Austin at 828-213-1040.
Two breast cancer patient navigators and two lung cancer patient navigators also provide support and guidance for patients and their families.
- WNC Brain Tumor Support, George Plym at 828-691-2559
Breast Cancer Support
- In Good Company support group and Boutique
- Ladies Night Out for free mammograms for underinsured women Breast and cervical cancer program at county health department—for underinsured women
- Tai Chi for breast cancer survivors
- Bosom Buddies (Weaverville), email Colleen Austin for information
- Young and the Breastless, CancerCare at 828-253-6242
- ABIPA, Sista 2 Sista Lunch and Learn-Supporting African American Women at 828-251-8364
- American Cancer Society Reach to Recovery peer support at 1-800-227-2345
Leukemia and Lymphoma
- Patient and Family support group, Mission Hospital, call Leslie Verner at 828-213-4656 for registration and directions.
- ABIPA Brother to Brother breakfast club-Supporting African American Men at 828-251-8364
- American Cancer Society man to man prostate cancer support group coming soon
- Us Too International - Prostate Cancer Education and Support:
Women cancer patients
- Beauty Through Cancer, Earleen Bennett at 828-252-8558
- Look good…Feel Better workshops, call the American Cancer Society at 828-254-6931
- Women’s Group, Mollie Milner at 828-299-0394.
- Women’s Support Group, Nancy Schmidt at 828-505-2114
- Hope Women’s Center “Strength for Living” at 828-670-8403
- Support group co-facilitators: Steve Royster 828-776-4918 and Kaye Loveland 828-989-2122
- American Cancer Society’s "Coping with Caregiving" free telephone workshops. Register by calling 1-800-966-3586
- Caregiver’s Kits—call American Cancer Society (ACS) at 1-888-227-6333 or ACS patient navigator at Mission at 828-213-1040 to pick one up.
- Camp Bluebird, a three-day retreat held in May and October in the mountains of WNC for adult cancer survivors. For more information or to register, please call Leslie Verner, RN at 828-213-4656.
- American Cancer Society Road to Recovery at 1-800-ACS-2345 (volunteer transportation)
- American Cancer Society Dietician on Call at 1-888-227-6333
- American Cancer Society ICanCope® educational classes for patients and caregivers, Andrea Lahti at 828-271-6510
- A Survivorship Conference at MAHEC on April 27, 2011, call Mary Etta Hartwick, RN at 828-213-4134
- American Cancer Society Patient Advocate program at 1-888-227-6333
- There are also resources for uninsured and underinsured men and women in our region. Visit the American Cancer Society website at www.cancer.org, or call the American Cancer Society’s National Cancer Information Center at 1-800-227-2345.
Free Cancer Screenings
- Mission Hospital offers a free annual Skin Screening and Oral Screening to look for skin cancers and to recommend follow-up and removal if an area of concern is detected. Oral screenings are done by a dentist.